There are many examples of older people who have higher support needs being part of shaping and contributing to the services they use. There are also good examples of older people being part of their local Older People’s Forum or contributing to the plans for their community. But there are also people who are finding this difficult, or are not sure where to start. There are older people who feel they are no longer part of their community, and who feel their views don’t matter. They don’t want to be overlooked.
In 2014 Outside the Box and Scottish Care organised a series of We’re Here Too events to bring together people who want to see more opportunities for all older people to be able to participate in the issues that interest them. In 2015 we held up two follow up events to find out what had been happening since.
Now, in 2016 we are holding three more We’re Here Too events!
This year we will be having discussions around 3 themes at our events:
1. Building stronger links between people living in care homes and other supported settings and people in their local communities
2. Keeping active
3. What works for older people in BME communities. Come along to the event that is convenient for you from 10am – 3.30pm. Tea, coffee, cake and lunch will be provided. Below we have listed options for travelling by public transport.
Dates and locations for the events are as follows:
24th October Eastwood House, East Renfrewshire
15th November Forth Valley Sensory Centre Falkirk
2nd December Smithton Free Church, Inverness
Contact Outside the Box for or more information or to book a place.
Email: email@example.com or phone: 0141 419 0451
Getting to We’re Here Too by Public Transport:
Eastwood House, East Renfrewshire
By bus: The number 38 (with a 10 minute walk from the bus stop).
By train: The closest train station is Giffnock (with a 25 minute walk from the station).
Sensory Centre, Falkirk
By bus: The number 38 stops one minute away.
By train: Camelon train station is a 5 minute walk away.
Smithton Free Church, Inverness
By bus: The number 8 stops one minute away.
By train: The church is a 10 minute taxi ride from Inverness station.
We’re Here Too 2015
In Autumn of 2015 we held two follow up events to We’re Here Too in Falkirk and Greenock.
Thank you to all who attended. The full event report is now available:
Below are the full presentations from our speakers.
- Introduction: Anne Connor, Outside the Box
- Building Community Capacity in Highland Perthshire: Fiona Johnstone, Community Engagement Worker, PKAVS and Gillian Gilchrist, Heartland Befriending
- KeyRing Project from Newcastle : Kirsty Morgan
- KeyRing Chain Reaction: Catriona Hackney
- Evidence from Research and Reports on Building Community Support for Older People
- KeyRing group discussion – what people can contribute
- Frank Dunlop- Your Voice
- Alan Stevenson- Get Together Groups in East Renfrewshire
- Group discussion- what people can contribute
Here are some of the presentations from the 2014 events, which we hope you find useful and inspiring.